It's been awhile since we sent out our last update, and it's because despite putting 2 more layers of claycrete on the Daruma, it still looks relatively the same as it did in our last update. It's hard to tell from pictures, but the Daruma is WAY sturdier and rounder now.
Despite it not being visually too different, we wanted to make sure to update everyone on our progress. Here goes!
Here are some fun facts...Daruma now has on it:
- 200+ rolls of 1-ply toilet paper
- 5 buckets of 5-gallon joint compound
- 6 5-lb bags of flour
- 5 gallons of Elmer's White Glue
This past weekend, one of our Build team members flew from Boston to help us in LA with our electrical and lighting setup (thanks Jay!). We now have a playa-ready Pelican box that fits 2 SLA batteries and a custom-designed quick disconnect + timer rig that Josh and Jay put together. The batteries successfully ran under our test conditions for 9+ hours, lighting 6 flood lights without fail. WOOT!! WHEW!! Daruma will not be a darkwad. :)
Furthermore, despite it being 100F on Saturday and Sunday, we managed to recruit more friends than ever to help with our back-to-back Build Days. With this many hands on deck, we were able to move the Daruma out of the Build Garage to bake in the sun for a few hours. Here are two videos of how we moved it in and out of the Build space...still can't believe we did that, haha. Moving Daruma out --https://vimeo.com/225478190 & moving Daruma in -- https://vimeo.com/225478502
From heat delusion, we came up with some creative ways to unroll toilet paper and create papier-mache claycrete. You'll see a picture below of us using a broomstick handle as a toilet paper dispenser...we felt like cats playing with cat toys. That was delirious fun!
Also, we were super fortunate to get advice from a seasoned Burning Man papier-mache sculptor this week -- thank you SO much Vulfie for reaching out and giving us so many great suggestions! We will be exploring the use of celluclay for our last layer. <3 <3 <3
We are also super grateful to YOU, our supporters. Without your support, this wouldn't be possible. Thank you all so much!!!!!! Seriously, thank you. THANK YOU!
Before we sign off today, we wanted to share a few other Burning Man Honoraria Art Projects that are still in need of funding. Please consider helping them in any way possible - they're all incredible pieces!
- Peter Hazel's "Bloom" https://www.hatchfund.org/project/bloom_1
- Dicapria's "Gummy Bear Pyramid" https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gummybearpyramid/gummy-bear-pyramid-art-installation-burning-man-20
- David Cocciante's "Aperture 11" http://bit.ly/aperture-11
- Iron Monkey Arts' "Flight of Illumination" https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/IronMonkeyArts/iron-monkeys-flight-of-illumination-at-buring-man
- Marco Turrubiartes' "The Shrine of La Santisima Muerte" https://www.gofundme.com/SantisimaMuerte
- Rocky Mountain High Flyers Guild's "Dragonfly Mating Ritual" https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1503896421/dragonfly-mating-ritual-burning-man-honorarium-201?ref=dq0m51
We have another back-to-back Build Weekend coming up on July 22nd & July 23rd. Please let us know if you're down to swing by and help! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com and we'll send you all the details. Thank you!!
That's it from us today! Hope you have an amazing weekend!